Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success (VMASS)
HCC Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Services (VMASS), is committed to supporting the Active Duty, Guard/Reserves, Veteran, and the larger Military-Affiliated (Spouse/Dependent) and DOD student population(s) pursuing certificate(s) and/or degrees in higher education.
HCC understands the unique challenges associated with the VMASS student population and has a dedicated team of professionals focused on providing coordinated resources/services designed to support a student from enrollment to graduation.
Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Success Resources
Join the HCC Veterans Community
Important Information for Students
VMASS Service Indicator
VMASS Service Indicator Removal Process
HCC students using VA education benefits must submit a Veteran & Military-Affiliated Certification Request each time they enroll in HCC classes. Doing so, releases the service indicator form their accounts. The purpose of the indicator is to ensure that our office is notified once a student adds, drops, or swaps classes. Additionally, it will also minimize the occurrence of students receiving VA educational benefit debts. This indicator will automatically be placed on your account every Monday. It is removed on a first come, first serve basis. However, all indicators are removed by the close of business daily except on weekends and college holidays.
When registration is open, all Veteran and Military-Affiliated students will have one opportunity to register for classes without an impact from the hold. However, if you place classes in your shopping cart and DO NOT complete the entire enrollment process the system will recognize that you have exhausted your one opportunity and the indicator will be enforced. Then, you will have to complete another Veteran & Military-Affiliated Certification Request. Another Veteran & Military-Affiliated Certification Request must also be submitted when there is a change in your enrollment (add, drop, swap, class cancellation, and withdrawal).
Training Time - Basic Allowances
- 12 credit hours= full time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 9-11 credit hours=3/4 status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 6-8 credit hours=1/2 time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 4-5 credit hours=less than 1/2 time status (Regular Term & Second Start)
- 1-3 credit hours=1/4 time or less status (Regular Term & Second Start)
Summer training time:
- 7 credit hours=full time status during the 10 week summer session
- 6 credit hours=full time status during the Summer 1 session or S1 (8 Weeks)
- 4 credit hours=full time status during the Summer 2 session. or S2 (5 Weeks)
Change of Degree Plan
You may also fax your new degree plan, along with the change of degree plan form and a cover letter, to VA Office at 713-718-8444.
Meet with an academic advisor to update your degree plan at least once each year.
Process for Graduation:
Please file for graduation through your HCC academic advisor prior to your last semester.
Meet with an advisor to update your degree plan and verify that you have completed all the necessary coursework and institutional requirements. This will show all work completed prior to the semester of graduation, courses in progress, transfer work applied to your degree, and any course substitutions and approvals.
Applications should be filed either the semester prior to or the semester in which the student plans to graduate. Students should complete the Application for Degree/Certificate online.
VMASS • At A Glance
|Academics||Student Services||Get Involved||Health & Safety|
|Bookstore||Advising||German Initiative||Health Disclosures|
|Dual Credit||Counseling||Gilman Scholarship||Drug & Alcohol Prevention|
|Honors College||Testing Requirements||Rec Sports||Health Insurance|
|Prior Learning Assessment||Student Complaint||Egalitarian|
|Service Learning||Get Help||Student Life|
|Transfers (Fairs)||Accessibility - Ability Services||MMI|
|Tutoring||FAQs||Society of Eagle Mentors|
|STEM||International Students||Phi Theta Kappa|
The Ultimate Veteran & Military-Affiliated Student Experience
Apply for HCC Admission
We're excited that you're joining the HCC Veteran & Military-Affiliated Community.
Our Veteran & Military-Affiliated Resource Centers are here to help you with any questions or needs. You may also contact our Veteran & Military-Affiliated Call Center at 713-718-8522 or email email@example.com
Complete the HCC Admission Application.
Apply for VA Educational Benefits by Submitting the VONAPP
All students seeking to use one of the educational benefits provided by the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs, must submit a VONAPP and call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551.
- Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) - All veterans who served on active duty after 9/11/2001 may qualify for this benefit.
- Chapter 30 (Active Duty) - Veterans who entered the armed services after July 1, 1985 and elected to contribute $100 per month for the first 12 months of their enlistment.
- Chapter 1606 (ARNG & Reserve) Students currently serving a minimum 6-year enlistment with the Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Chapter 1607 (REAP) Activated ARNG/Reserves - Students whose Reserve or ARNG unit was activated to serve in Global War on Terrorism.
- Chapter 35 (Dependents) - Dependents (including spouses) whose parent (wife/husband) served on active duty and were 100% permanently disabled as a result of active duty or was missing or killed in action.
- Chapter 31 (Service-Connected Disability) - Veterans who received a service-connected disability while on active duty.
- MyCAA - Military Spouse Scholarship Program- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses.
- Hazlewood - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.
- Tuition Assistance - The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals.
- Guests/Concurrent Student- You are considered a guest student if you are currently (or will soon be) enrolled at another college and are taking courses at HCC. Guest students take HCC courses to fulfill their parent institution's degree requirements.
Submit Required Documents to Begin using your Approved Educational Benefit
There is a HCC Checklist of Instructions available for your approved educational benefit. Please view the Forms and Checklists page to learn more about the documents required to begin using your approved educational benefit.