HCC Veterans Academy
The Veterans Academy is designed to help Veterans earn fast-track workforce certificates while providing academic and student success support services. The aim is to support completion and graduation for participating Veterans.
In an effort to increase opportunities provided to Veteran/Military students and meet the workforce industry demands of the State of Texas, Houston Community College (HCC) is proud to launch its new and innovative Veterans Academy program. The Veterans Academy will offer workforce solutions to high demand occupational needs by supplying qualified and skilled Veteran personnel - capitalizing on prior military experiences, education, training, and skillsets - to the workforce. The “fast track,” streamlined program model will serve as a pipeline to long-term job placement opportunities, targeted statewide, improving Veterans’ student and career success.
Find out more about each program:
- EKG Technician *
- Patient Care Technician *
- Microsoft Certified Solution Associate - Server 2012 (Server Administrator) *
- Commercial Truck Driving
- Computer Systems Networking - Certified Cisco Network Professional (CCNP) Certificate Level 1
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate Level 2
- Phlebotomy Technician - Occupational Skills Award
- Phlebotomy Technician (Continuing Education)
- Surgical Technology - Sterile Processing Technician - Occupational Skills Award
- Surgical Technology Certificate Level 1
* Contact a Veterans Academy Case Manager for VA benefits and scholarship information to pay for these programs
New Programs for Spring 2018
- Dental Assisting Certificate Level 1
- Emergency Medical Services Paramedic Certificate Level 2
- Licensed Vocational Nursing Certificate Level 1
- Medical Assistant Cerificate Level 2
Veterans Academy Advantages
- Shortened program completion for certificates
- Reduced costs (tuition, books, materials,) due to fast-track programs
- College credit for prior military experience, education and training
- Industry recognized credentials
- Extensive academic support and and guidance
- Mentoring in Healthcare programs
- Increased job placement opportunities through State of Texas high demand industries
- Scholarships available for qualified Veterans
HCC Veterans Academy Admissions Process
All Veteran students choosing to attend Houston Community College must complete and the admissions application prior to enrollment. Please follow the following steps to complete the admissions and enrollment processes:
- Complete & submit the HCC admissions application by visiting hccs.edu/apply
- Complete the Veterans Academy Intake Form.
- Complete the the online Veteran Affairs Certification Request Form (VACR) and the HCC VA Checklist of Instructions for the benefits that you will be receiving.
- Obtain official transcripts from any other university, college or military institution you’ve attended – visit jst.doded.mil to access military transcripts. All transcripts should be submitted to:
Houston Community College Office of
Admissions and Records P.O. BOX 667517, Houston, TX 77266
- Visit with the HCC Veteran Academy Case Manager to select one of the VA Approved Certificate Plans at 6815 Rustic Street, Learning Hub Building, Room 201, Houston, TX 77087, to submit all required and completed documents, or you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Forms & Checklists of Instructions
- Statement of Intent & Change of Residency Petition Submit online v8
- - For all new and returning students, the Veterans Affairs Certification Request Form must be completed every semester to be certified for all programs.
*This form must be submitted every term that you enroll. This form must also be submitted when there is a change in your enrollment (add, drop, swap, class cancellation, and withdrawal).
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act FERPA
- Veteran Affairs Information Data Sheet
Participant Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to receive services from the Veterans Academy an individual must:
- Be eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Be a United States (U.S.) citizen or a noncitizen authorized to work in the U.S.;
- If male, meet U.S. Military Selective Service registration requirements;
- Be a veteran who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable as specified at 38 U.S.C., Section 10(2); (active services include full-time duty in the National Guard or a Reserve Component other than full-time for training purposes); or be an active duty servicemember: a member of the uniformed services, as that term is defined in 10 U.S.C. § 101(a)(5); and
- Be a Texas resident or willing to relocate to Texas.
Veterans Education Benefits
Listed below are the Educational Benefit Programs offered by the Federal Department of Veteran Affairs, which can be utilized when enrolled at HCC:
- Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) - All veterans who served on active duty after 9/11/2001 may qualify for this benefit.
- Chapter 30 (Active Duty) - Veterans who entered the armed services after July 1, 1985 and elected to contribute $100 per month for the first 12 months of their enlistment.
- Chapter 1606 (ARNG & Reserve) Students currently serving a minimum 6-year enlistment with the Reserve or Army National Guard.
- Chapter 1607 (REAP) Activated ARNG/Reserves - Students whose Reserve or ARNG unit was activated to serve in Global War on Terrorism.
- Chapter 35 (Dependents) - Dependents (including spouses) whose parent (wife/husband) served on active duty and were 100% permanently disabled as a result of active duty or was missing or killed in action.
- Chapter 31 (Service-Connected Disability) - Veterans who received a service-connected disability while on active duty.
- MyCAA - Military Spouse Scholarship Program- The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses.
For qualification details and to apply for these educational benefits all students seeking to use one of the educational benefits provided by the U.S Department of Veteran Affairs, must submit a VONAPP and call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551.
The following educational benefits are administered by other governmental agencies and can be utilized when enrolled at HCC:
- Hazlewood - Is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.
- Tuition Assistance - The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals.
- - You are considered a guest student if you are currently (or will soon be) enrolled at another college and are taking courses at HCC. Guest students take HCC courses to fulfill their parent institution's degree requirements.
Prior Learning Assessment
The Veterans Academy can assist Veterans interested in earning college credits for prior learning, work and/or military experience.
Meet Your Veterans Academy Staff
- Tanya C. Ingram Ed.D., Program Director
- Deana Watkins, Program Coordinator
- Theresa Heard, Office Manager
- Ewing James, Veterans Case Manager
- Cynthia Luna, Veterans Case Manager
- Timothy Walton, Certifying Official
Apr2510:00 AM|HCC Southeast Campus Learning Hub, Room 108
Public Events, Student Activity
Come meet employers from a variety of industries including railroad, manufacturing, waste management, oil refining, real estate, and more.
Talk with us today
For further assistance, visit the HCC Veterans Academy Center located at 6815 Rustic Street, Learning Hub Building, Room 201 Houston, TX 77087; or call 713-718-6665 to set an appointment with a case manager; or submit all required and completed documents, to email@example.com
Have some questions? Give us your information and we will contact you.
Ready to get started in the academy? Fill out the Veterans Academy Intake Form and meet your Veterans Case Manager today.