Transfer Information and Credit

HCC Policy on Transfer

Transfer of academic credit is a public policy issue for several reasons:

  • an increase in student mobility,
  • the proliferation of distance learning programs and common acceptance of their legitimacy,
  • the economics of expending public money twice for the same course, and
  • consumer protection from expending private money twice for the same course

HCC analyzes credit accepted for transfer in terms of level, content, quality, comparability, and degree program relevance.  Transfer of credit from one institution to another involves at least three considerations:

  • the educational quality of the learning experience which the student transfers;
  • the comparability of the nature, content, and level of the learning experience to that offered by the receiving institution; and 
  • the appropriateness and applicability of the learning experience to the programs offered by the receiving institution, in light of the student's educational goals.


Accreditations Accepted in Transfer

HCC accepts college level credit in transfer from colleges and universities accredited by any of the six regional accreditation bodies: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Western Association of Colleges and Schools.

In addition, HCC accepts college level credit in transfer from colleges and universities by any of the following national accreditation bodies: Association of Biblical Higher Education, Association of Theological Schools in the US and Canada, Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools, Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology, Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, Council on Occupational Education, and Distance Education and Training Council.

Students Transferring to HCC from other colleges/universities

Transfer students are students who have previous college work and plan to pursue a certificate or degree at HCC.  HCC evaluates, accepts, and awards credit for transfer course work, experiential learning, advanced placement, and professional certificates that is consistent with the HCC mission and for which we can ensure that the course work and learning outcomes are at the collegiate level and comparable to HCC certificate and degree programs.  Transfer students are required to send official transcripts from each previously attended college or university.  Transfer work is evaluated within the first semester of attendance.

Advanced Standing/Placement Credit

Instructional programs may award credit for specialized educational training or experience. Each program will supply information on the types of supporting documents required to demonstrate how the training and experience meets the program learning outcomes.  The appropriate department will evaluate the training or experience. The dean may approve a maximum of 21 semester hours in specific courses related to the training or experience. The student must complete at least 12 semester hours at HCC and must be currently enrolled in the technical program for which the courses are applicable. Advanced-standing credit will become an official part of the student’s permanent record once the student has completed HCC coursework. The fee per evaluation is $25

Credit for Military Course Work/Training

Advanced standing credit is awarded for military course work equivalent to courses at HCC. Official military transcripts with ACE evaluations (i.e., AARTS or SMART transcript) should be submitted to the Registrar. These will be forwarded to the appropriate instructional department for final evaluation and recommendations. The fee per evaluation is $25.

Credit by Examination

HCC awards credit for qualified scores on nationally standardized examinations for the following instruments:

College Board Advanced Placement (AP) Examinations, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), International Baccalaureate (IB) higher level exams, and the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) subject exams. A maximum of 24 semester hours credit may be earned through Credit by Exam. Credit earned through these examinations will be recorded by the Registrar only after the student has completed six semester hours at HCC.  Official test scores must be sent from the testing agency to the HCC Office of Admissions and Records. Contact the Testing Office for examination schedules and availability of the CLEP. Questions regarding credit received for the above national exams should be directed to the Transfer Office.

Credit by Departmental Examination

Credit by departmental examination may be allowed in career and technology courses for which examinations have been developed and approved by the appropriate career and technology dean. The examinee must have completed six semester hours at HCC and must be currently enrolled in the career and technology program for which the courses are applicable. Students desiring to take examinations for credit should speak to the program chair or the Career and Technology Dean for information, schedules, and arrangements. The fee per examination is $25.

Students Transferring from HCC to other colleges/universities

  • Meet with a counselor/advisor at your community college campus to discuss your academic goals, plans, and questions. Consider completing an associate degree before transferring. Some universities give preferential treatment in admission decisions, if a student transfers after completing his/her associates degree. Research indicates that students who have completed the associate degree perform better after transfer than those who did not complete the associate degree.  
  • If you need to transfer to another institution before the completion of your HCC associate degree, you may be able to “transfer back” to HCC your college credits from another institution in order to fulfill your associate degree requirements. In most cases, a student can “transfer back” up to 42 college-level semester hours of credit within three years of leaving HCC to complete his/her associate degree requirements. (Note: all graduation requirements must be fulfilled. See HCC catalog for more information.) 
  • Obtain a transfer plan from your HCC counselor/advisor. A transfer plan lists the university-required courses which can be taken at HCC toward your university bachelor degree major. If you are undecided about your choice of university or your choice of major, see a HCC career counselor for more help.  
  • Apply for university admission and financial aid early before the university’s deadlines. Most universities have application fees. An admission application is not considered complete until all official documents are in and all fees are paid. (Note: applying early for financial aid can have a big impact on the aid you receive.) If housing is needed, application must also be made to the university’s Housing Office. 
  • All academic transcripts and TSI scores/status must be sent to your university of choice by the university’s admission deadline. To have your HCC transcript sent to your university, see the HCC Office of Student Records web page on ordering information. Transcripts can be sent electronically or by mail. It is highly recommended that transcripts be sent electronically to expedite processing. (Note: Universities require an academic transcript from every institution attended. HCC cannot send copies of transcripts from other schools. We can only send an academic transcript of HCC course work.) 
  • Financial Aid transcripts are also required to be sent to your university of choice. Stop by your HCC Financial Aid office to fill out a Financial Aid Transcript Request Form.

Transfer Dispute Resolution

If a student is informed by a Texas public college or university that it will not accept the transfer of any HCC academic course credit, the student may have a case for a transfer dispute which will ultimately be resolved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Students should be cautioned that workforce course credits may or may not be transferable, depending upon the program and articulation agreements between HCC and the college or university involved. In addition, no institution of higher education shall be required to accept in transfer, or apply toward a degree program, more than sixty-six (66) semester credit hours of lower-division academic credit. Institutions of higher education, however, may choose to accept additional credit hours by agreement. If the student wishes to transfer credit later to work on a bachelor’s degree, the student should consult with an HCC program advisor or counselor. Rules and procedures for the resolution of transfer disputes regarding lower-division courses have been formulated by the THECB as follows:

If an institution of higher education refuses to accept course credit earned by a student at another institution of higher education, the receiving institution shall provide written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of course credit has been denied, along with the reasons for denial. Students may dispute the denial of transfer credit by contacting a designated official at either the sending or receiving institution.

The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the dispute in accordance with THECB rules and guidelines.

If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days of the date the student received written notice of denial, the institution denying the course credit transfer shall notify the Commissioner of Higher Education of the unresolved dispute and the reasons for the continued denial of course credit transfer.

The Commissioner or a designee shall make the final determination in an unresolved dispute concerning the transfer of course credit and provide written notice of the determination to the involved student and institutions.

Transfer Limitation

Students who intend to transfer to baccalaureate degree programs should be aware of possible limitations on lower division course work. Universities will generally not accept in transfer more than 66 semester credit hours of lower division academic credit.