Take a GED® or ESL class
Call 713.718.5381 for an appointment
No reservations are necessary. Please be on time for your chosen session.
Funding for Adult Education and Literacy (AEL) programs is provided by the Gulf Coast Workforce Development Board. AEL programs are part of the Workforce Solution system of services. Houston Community College supports, and the College is committed to, providing a learning and working environment that promotes personal integrity, civility, and mutual respect in an environment free of discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and gender expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status. The followingperson has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies: David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, 3100 Main Street, Houston, TX 77002, 713.718.8271 or email@example.com
Map to orientation/registration and GED/ESL Class Locations sites
English as a Second Language (ESL)
In an English as a Second Language (ESL) class, students are taught reading, listening, speaking and writing at 3 levels Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced.
Following are eligibility requirements for non-resident/non-citizens:
- There are certain restrictions on attending public school in the U.S. Persons who violate these restrictions may not receive another visa for a period of five years.
- The restrictions apply only to students holding F-1 visas. They do not apply to students attending public school on derivative visas, such as F-2, J-2 or H-4 visas. The restrictions also do not apply to students attending private schools on F-1 visas.
If you would like to enroll into an ESL class, please refer to the Orientation/Registration Schedule.
- The Houston Community College Adult Education & Literacy Program (AEL) provides classes in General Educational Development (GED®) Test Preparation and English as a Second Language (ESL) in the greater Houston area. Our program is designed for native and non-native speakers who want to improve their language skills and gain core academic skills needed to obtain a GED
- All subjects (Math, Social Studies, Language, Reading) pertaining to the GED® Test are taught in one class.
- Before enrolling in class, applicants are required to attend an orientation/registration session where they will view a Power Point presentation detailing information about our program and learn about locations, dates and times of classes. Potential students can may obtain orientation/registration information by calling (713) 718-5400.
- Students should bring state-issued picture ID, (a passport is allowable), a blue pen, #2 pencil, and a tablet/paper to orientation/registration sessions and to class.
- Students should expect to be in orientation/registration session for at least 2 hours.
- If you are interested in taking the GED® Test instead of taking a preparation class, we refer you to https://ged.com/ to register for the GED® Test.
- At this time there are no GED® classes offered online through HCC.
- Students must be 18 years old to enroll into a GED® or ESL class. 17 year-olds must have a letter of authorization to enroll which can be obtained at the HCC Adult Education & Literacy (AEL) Administrative office located at 3100 Main, Suite BD09. Letters are issued on Thursdays, between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. during the registration period. Students should bring withdrawal documentation from the last school attended, state-issued picture ID and a parent/guardian in order to receive a letter. 16 year-olds are not eligible for our program unless they have been court ordered. They must bring a copy of the court order, as well as the other documentation mentioned above.
- At this time we do not offer GED® class in Spanish; however, HCC offers the GED® Test in Spanish.
If you would like to enroll into a GED® Preparation class, please refer to the Orientation/Registration schedule.
Free GED® Test Vouchers
Through the end of 2015, Houston Community College (HCC) will be awarding over fifty (50) vouchers to Adult Education students who are prepared to take and pass the GED® Test. To find out more and request a voucher, send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the HCC Adult Education Office at (713) 718-5381.
Students requesting GED® Test vouchers are encouraged to first take the GED Ready Practice Test, and score “Likely to Pass” to be more certain of testing success.
Go here to sign up for the GED Ready Practice Test and take advantage of discount pricing through October 31, 2015.
GED® Test vouchers are made possible by the HCC Mobile GO Initiative through a grant from the Pioneer Foundation.
Students who accept a voucher will be required to sign an information release of their test scores for reporting purposes.
Frequently asked questions
What does the Houston Community College Adult Education & Literacy program offer?
- ESL classes designed to help foreign language learners to improve fluency and learn English.
- ABE and GED classes designed to improve basic skills and prepare students for the GED test; develop job readiness skills, prepare for college or workforce trainings.
Who is eligible for the HCC Adult Education & Literacy program?
- Applicants 18 years old and older.
- Age exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis. All exceptions must be cleared through the Adult Education & Literacy program administrative office located at 3100 Main, in the basement.
What do I bring to registration & orientation?
- Valid, government-issued picture ID (passport, state driver license, state ID or resident alien card, etc.).
- Social Security Card (if available) or document to verify SS# (if available).
- Blue pen and #2 pencil.
What should I expect at the registration & orientation session?
- Applicants will be assessed to determine their academic levels.
- Be prepared to stay at least 2 hours.