Small Business / Entrepreneurship
Who We Are
The Office of Entrepreneurial Initiatives was established to build and sustain the Houston business community through effective and relevant educational initiatives to help businesses grow in revenue, personnel and business opportunities. The Office of Entrepreneurial Initiatives leads and coordinates all business and entrepreneurial initiatives by providing system wide support, and leadership to fulfill HCC’s Strategic Agenda to “Cultivate and Entrepreneurial Culture Across the Institution.”
Teen Entrepreneur College
Entrepreneurship is a profound international, national and local imperative. Houston Community College is deeply committed to supporting and growing entrepreneurial initiatives that enrich and strengthen our community.
The new Teen Entrepreneur College is a credit-based program that blends classroom instruction with interactive activities, creativity, self-sufficiency, business development, and financial literacy, all supported by mentoring and strategic benchmarks.
Highlights: 2015 Teen Entrepreneur Summit
Community College Consortium Grant
In a global society, HCC prepares students to address issues that transcend national boundaries while fostering good citizenship. We consider international awareness and experiences to be essential aspects of today's curriculum.
HCC IDEA Pitch Competition
The HCC IDEA Pitch Competition, previously titled as HCC Elevator Pitch Competition, is a platform for any HCC student to share their creative ideas. The competition is designed to explore innovative approaches to answering pressing societal needs and to foster an atmosphere of social dialogue.
- Inventathon@HCC - Learn More
- Veterans Hackathon - Coming Soon
- Invesco APIathon - Coming Soon
Houston Community College in collaboration with the City of Houston-Office of Business Opportunity announces the InnovateHER Competition, sponsored by the SBA (Small Business Administration.)
InnovateHER 2016 is designed to help identify products and services that impact and empower the lives of women and families.
Note: 11/17/2015 - Registration for the 2016 InnovateHer Competition is closed.
InnovateHER 2017: Innovating for Women Business Challenge, a nationwide business competition to drive attention and resources to innovative products and services that make our lives easier and longer.
Note: June 5, 2017 - Deadline for Business Plan Submission by 11:55 pm
- Innovation Thinking (or IDEAS Generation) - Learn discovery skills to be innovative.
- Design Thinking Workshop – A creative process that helps you design meaningful solutions.
- Idea Validation Workshop – is your idea commercialize, what problem are you really solving?
- IDEA to Prototype! – Have a product idea? Make it into a prototype!
- Business Plan Workshops – how to create a successful business plan.
- Presentations - Best Practices when making presentations and when presentation.
- Create a Word Press Website – a walkthrough of the WordPress dashboard and management tools
- Accounting 101 – For non-business majors, learn to manage money.
- Marketing 101 – For non-business majors, learn to new marketing.
- LinkedIn – a walkthrough of LinkedIn and best practices to promote your profile
- Social Media 101 – Essential tools and overview of popularly used social media platforms.
- Excel 101, Advanced - Intro level – Definitions, layouts, and tables. Advanced – pivot tables and cloud sharing.
- Word 101, Advanced – Intro level – Formatting, Layouts, Ribbon, and styles. Advanced – Mail Merge
- Access 101 – Intro Level – Introduction to Tables & Queries, Advanced – Forms & Reports.
- Smartphones 101 – Discover top tools and apps for collaboration, sharing, organization, and making!
- Raspberry Pi – Introduction to Mini Computers
- Robotics 101 – 4-hour hands-on workshops to build your own car, code it and test it! Introduction to autonomous driving.
- Learn to Code: Python Coding - Learn about a widely used programming language.
- Learn to Code: Codefest - Create a web page by coding into notepad.
- Let’s make Apps: Android Apps - introduction to android app platforms, templates, and activities/modules.
- Let’s Make Apps: iOS Apps - introduction to iOS app platforms, templates, and activities/modules.
- VR/AR – Learn to paint in the air with augmented reality.
- Storytelling – Create a video story, using Adobe Premier Pro
- YouTube 101 – Learn to upload and editing of videos on YouTube
- Snapchat 101 – Quick workshop on uses of Snapchat
- Twitter & Facebook Marketing 101 – Workshop on marketing on Facebook and twitter.
- Tech Faire (Maker Faire) -
- Google Analytics – Learn how to implement Google Analytics on your website and understand your data
- Google Apps – Introduction to Google Apps for non-profits
- #Slack – demonstration of an online collaboration tool used to manage team projects
- BaseCamp – demonstration of a team project management tool for teachers and students.
/C@deFest// Workshops - Create Your Own Website
Create your own website from scratch! Students will get hands-on experience to develop a website on their laptops and publish live on the web. This is a “hands-on” workshop using laptop computers (bring your own laptop!).
How to Make Your LinkedIn Profile Awesome! Inspired by TED Talks
Bi-lingual Small Business Development Training
The Corporate College at HCC delivers customized, contract training to Houston’s commercial business, industry, and government employers. Our training and development solutions are high-quality, competitively priced, and relevant. The Workplace English program is built on the premise that language learners become more motivated if their learning experience correlates to immediate life application. In this program the English learning activities are centered on the employees’ specific job functions. Focus is given in building workplace vocabulary, conversational practice is centered on relevant industry topics, and the mix of literacy skills practiced is tailored to the skills most necessary for the environment in the employee’s current workplace.
Entrepreneurship AAS & Certificates
Marketing - Innovation and Enterprise Specialization - AAS
The AAS in Marketing provides students with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to pursue a career in marketing, marketing research, advertising, retailing or sales. The degree offers a wide spectrum of courses in all aspects of marketing including marketing services. The program is designed for anyone seeking entry-level employment in the field of Marketing as it evolves into market driven innovation and enterprise solutions.
Marketing - Social Enterprise - Certificate Level I
This Certificate provides students an understanding of varieties of innovation and the commercialization of technology, the changing basis of competitive advantage over time, and the modern approaches to adding value to products and services, including user interfaces, user experience, and consumer branding.
Marketing - Enterprise Development - Certificate Level I
Enterprise development is a systematic approach to controlling growth, development and improvement of a purposeful or industrious activity organized to provide a service or product within an economy.
Business Administration Entrepreneurship - Certificate
The Business Management-Entrepreneurship certificate provides students with instruction in entrepreneurial skills, business principles, accounting, and real life experiences through cooperative education. The program is designed to assist students in starting their own businesses.
Entrepreneurial Skill Building and Training
Business Coaching and Mentoring - contact: Ravi Brahmbhatt
Entrepreneurs Club at HCC Central
Contact Professor Philip Tussing (email@example.com) or Ravi Brahmbhatt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Innovation Club (District)
- Advisory Council
- Roland Fields
- Ravi Brahmbhatt - Chair
- Susan Thompson
- Jordan Carswell
- Philip Tussing
- Ruben Duran
- Sean Otmishi
- Innovation Lab - Current Projects
- HCC Andriod & iOS Apps
- HCC Math APP
- HCC Biology Game APP
- HCC Geology Test APP
- HCC Student Services Day APP
- Club President
- Mohammed Almani
For More, Contact Professor Ravi Brahmbhatt (email@example.com)
Small Business / Entrepreneurship Events